Project Objective & Brief Description:
The Project is funded by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the United Nations International Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and the European Commission. The Project is registered as project of international technical assistance on January 28, 2009 # 2/09/000389 by the Ministry of Economy of the Republic of Belarus.
The project aims to enhance national capacities in fighting trafficking in human beings (THB) with preventive measures and better protection and rehabilitation of victims of trafficking. In particular, the project aims to improve coordination and information-sharing among responsible agencies and NGOs; to scale-up advocacy, trainings and awareness-raising campaigns geared at various target groups; to develop victim protection and reintegration programmes based on best international experience and practices; to enhance the capacity of rehabilitation centers, NGOs and local centers for social assistance to provide prevention services. The project will also contribute to generating part-time and long-term employment for women and young people.
Within the project framework the following major activities are planned:
1. Comprehensive research in the field of trafficking in human beings, including trafficking in children;
2. Review of national legislation and development of recommendations for further improvement of THB legislation;
3. Improvement and development of the system of coordination and sharing of information between the Ministry of Interior of the Republic of Belarus and State Border Committee of the Republic of Belarus; enhancement of capacity of the MoI and SBC in prosecution of traffickers;
4. Extension of the national network of anti-trafficking institutions and institutions rendering assistance and protection services to victims of THB;
5. Enhancement of capacity of the hotline and shelter for victims of THB;
6. Creation of a multi-service centre to promote youth employment;
7. Awareness raising campaign on THB among the population;
8. Improvement of participation of women in private sector on the local level;
9. Improvement of assistance to victims of THB in the criminal justice system.